Friday, January 22, 2010

Book review: The Hunger Games

Talk about a book that takes you someplace. This one just drops you in the middle of a place you hope never will be and traps you there. It is compelling, troubling and really hard to put down. From the first chapter I was in love with the main character and felt her pain. I do not want to say too much because I know one of my best friends is reading it as I write and I don't want to spoil it for her. But it is the story of Katniss Everdeen in what used to be North America. It is now a country devastated by wars and natural disasters and ruled by a really nasty oppressive government that will remind you of Hitler's Germany. In punishment for a uprising some 80 years before by the districts, every year each district must send two "kids" between the ages of 12 and 18 to participate in a fight to the death known as the Hunger Games. This book (to me) is part "1984", part "Lord of the Flies" and part "The Condemned", but totally original. It will make you question how you see everything from reality TV to political parties. The way she makes it out and ignites a new fire in her fellow country mates to question the regime is a twist that sets up the next book. I can not wait to hear what you think of it J! (At least it is taking my mind of the Twilight saga, well not really, but I am always looking for a new and captivating book!) And if I see right on the internet, The Hunger Games will soon be a movie, much anticipated by its small cult following. But look what happend to the Twilight francise after that! So I am reading the second book, Catching Fire, and so far have not been disapointed. I have actually had a hard time putting it down to do mundane things like cook dinner. LOL

3 comments:

  1. I bought the book on Friday and started reading it then. It is Saturday and I only have a few chapters left. It is really good. I was surprised it was in the young adult section of the store.

    ReplyDelete
  2. PS. It reminded me of "the lottery" meets "lord of the flies"

    ReplyDelete
  3. J told me of the book (I'm one of her IRL friends too) and I have it requested from the library. I can't wait to read it!
    the other J

    ReplyDelete