Tuesday, March 23, 2010

What I am reading now

"She is too fond of books, and it has turned her head." ~ Louisa May Alcott


I have left the YA books on the shelf for the time being. I will go back to them when I need another reality escape or dose of romance. For I do enjoy that genre. But for now I am reading back in the grown up world. If you can call it that.

I am reading a novel called Eve. It is a fictional account of the first book of the bible, Genesis. Centered on Eve and Adam after their exodus from the garden of Eden, and the rise and fall of their family, mainly Cain and Abel. It is compelling, thought provoking, and I can see how some would say sacrilegious. Pointing out that "god" had created "others" outside the garden that Adam and Eve would eventually come in contact with. Basically saying that they were not the only humans created, just God's favorites. In the context of the "story" that it is, I can not put it down. Meticulous research from the Mesopotamian people's point of views and that region of the world, with the hanging gardens of Babylon and the life giving Euphrates river, paint a vivid backdrop. Take it as what it is. A good story.

After that I think I will re-read The Kite Runner. If you have not read that book, I highly recommend it. I read it two years ago and it is a timely piece of fiction dealing with the Muslim world and customs. It seems I am interested in that part of the world right now.
But don't despair my Vampire friends, I will come back.

1 comment:

  1. You crack me up! I have read exerts from Eve online, it looks sort of interesting. Currently I am reading Opening Skinner's Box, which is suppose to me nonfiction but I did so much research and school stuff related to the topics in the book that I am seeing inconsistencies . Parts seem like nonfiction. Not recommended - but it is for my book club.

    I miss our vampires.

    ReplyDelete