Wednesday, July 21, 2010

Reading and Writting

Right now I am reading Linger, the sequel to Shiver by Maggie Stiefvater. I just got a little teary eyed in the middle and decided it was time to blog. I realize that lately I like to read about vampires, werewolves and dystopian societies. (ie: Linger, Twilight, The Hunger Games) But it is not limited to the YA genre. I just went through a week of reading some Anne Rice novels (vampires), and marveling at her take on the catholic church in the middle ages. I was also on a Dan Brown kick (Angels and Demons was soo good!) And there is this new book I want to read called The Passage, its about a messed up, dystopian, post apocalyptic, America. (And it has vampires!) Really, I don't know where this is coming from. But I like reading where you know that life is not picture perfect, the characters are in messed up situations and somehow there is happiness at the end. (Kind of like real life, but with mythical creatures.) Because really. When does life ever go smoothly? And I kind of dislike the YA moniker. A lot of women my age (and some men) are happily reading and fill most of this "YA" demographic. And some of the subject matter I do not find appropriate for younger teens. I would not let my kids read some of it. We are not talking Harry Potter here. We are talking naked guys who turn into werewolves(Linger, Shiver),and young adults fighting to the death on televised blood baths.(The Hunger Games) Great reading, but not appropriate for the emotional level of some teens. Maybe they think they can rake more money in. Who knows? But I get some people who say "why do you read those books?" So don't knock it till you read them. Some are really good and will make you thing. Others are just fluff.You have to know what you are looking for. There are some great on line book clubs for women who will point you to the right books. Try www.evesfangarden.com and www.twilightmoms.com if you are interested.

So I woke up the other morning with a really weird dream stuck in my head. And than I was thinking that it would be a good story line. But beside the jumble of images in my head, and the one line that keeps sticking out to me,I don't know where to start. So I am going back to sitting and looking at the line on my computer screen and will either work on it. Or store it for later use. I just erased two pages of a story I am working on because I felt it my made my character seem too pitiful. So I have to go back and work on that also. I don't think I can tie the two stories together, but I can run two trains of thought. I hope! My new blog is still in progress. There are a couple of poems up now, but no stories as of yet. To check it out go to www.beccaboucher.wordpress.com I figure it will be my only chance to get my work out. I do not actually think I will be published, there are just too many people with good ideas and stories around. The fraction that actually see publication is so small, and who knows if my work is even good anyway. So off to stare at white pages!

1 comment:

  1. I love those books! LOL. YA all the way! And I will be checking out the twilight website.

    ReplyDelete