Tuesday, February 8, 2011

Book Review: Sapphique

Sapphique By, Catherine Fisher

Finn has escaped from the terrible living Prison of Incarceron, but its memory torments him, because his brother Keiro is still inside. Outside, Claudia insists he must be king, but Finn doubts even his own identity. Is he the lost prince Giles? Or are his memories no more than another construct of his imprisonment? And can you be free if your friends are still captive? Can you be free if your world is frozen in time? Can you be free if you don't even know who you are? Inside Incarceron, has the crazy sorcerer Rix really found the Glove of Sapphique, the only man the Prison ever loved. Sapphique, whose image fires Incarceron with the desire to escape its own nature. If Keiro steals the glove, will he bring destruction to the world? Inside. Outside. All seeking freedom. Like Sapphique.

Paperback, 480 pages
Published September 18th 2008 by Hodder Children's Books

From: goodreads.com


I have had this book in my to read pile for some time. I had read Incarceron and loved it, an I am all about making sure I read all the books in a saga!
In order to really appreciate Sapphique you had to read Incarceron. It picks up a few months after Finn has escaped form the prison. He finds himself stifled in the world of protocol and he also finds Claudia to be less understanding of his memory lapses now that he is out of the prison. Claudia as a character infuriates me. She can be cold, heartless and rude, but also is tirelessly fighting for Finn to take his rightful place as the king of the realm. I think she is a victim of her upbringing. In the end she faces a dose of reality that brings on transformation. In fact the only character I found myself liking this time around was Finn. You really come to believe is the true king and feel sorry for the way the realm has continued to treat him. Jared comes a close second. His blind love and devotion to Claudia, his inner strength and his destiny, are all captivating. Kiero continues to be a jerk and never really comes around until the last chapter. But can we blame him? He also is a product of his environment. Conflict being all he knows. And Attia is kind of one dimensional. Her unending devotion to Finn is her all consuming character trait. The one thing that binds her to Keiro and carries her through the tormenting world of Incarceron. This is a sci-fi book, steampunk at it's best. And I found myself relating the coming of Sapphique to the second coming of Christ. His coming ends up bringing both the prison and the realm to a place of destruction and chaos. But also a new beginning. Like the Hunger Games, it reminds you how man can totally change and manipulate a society with technology and oppressive constraints. With all that said, I liked the book. It kept me up late to finish it and left me wanting more. Good books always keep me wanting more! Sapphique gets a place on the shelf for sure. So I am five books into my challenge, and have two book blog tours coming up...keep on the reading. (Now I am reading Ballad by my all time favorite author Maggie!)

1 comment: