Tuesday, February 22, 2011

Honest Reviews

I am fairly new to the book review world. I started this blog as kind of a cathartic experiment, and was reviewing books just for my friends. Now that I have been focusing on my writing career and book reviews, switching the feel of the blog, I have found myself in Book Blog Tours and reviewing a lot more books. Even ones I normally wouldn't read. I for the most part have really liked the books. I felt a deep connection to the Memory Palace, and can't wait to post the review for 12.21.12.

But what  happens when you need to review a book that you just don't connect with? You might not like the story, the writing might be less than stellar, or it just feels disjointed. (This might happen when asked to review a self published or small market book.)  I am not out to hurt anyone. I am a writer myself. And it hurts when you pour yourself heart and soul into a piece of work and someone tears into it. But on the other hand I want to be honest. I wouldn't want anyone to tell me my work was great, recommend it to others, and it really just isn't so.

The key I guess is to be diplomatic and kind, while also being truthful and honest. In the end that's what I would want from a review, honest and constructive criticism. I guess everyone figured out that I have a review coming up that I am less than enthusiastic about. I am going to try and add all those elements. Because I know the author poured her heart and soul into this, she deserves props for that! Your work is your baby, and all our babies deserve to be treated with kindness and respect.


No comments:

Post a Comment