Monday, February 14, 2011

Valentines Day: Show your love everyday

I really want Valentines's day to go away. Every year I am filled with unnatural expectations ranging from dozen's of roses to surprise travel arangements. Which have never come true, and honestly never will. But a girl has to dream right? I tried to find my husband a card this year and was discouraged. Never mind I have bought, and wrote in, and thrown away six cards in the last five months! I just can't find one that says; I messed up, you messed up, our love is imperfect and troubled, and it looks like it is going to stay that way. That is really not a Hallmark sentimate! And the truth is why do we need a commercial holiday to remind us to value those we love?
 We should be telling them everyday how much we need them and value them. Not just on a day that the card companies tell us to. I wanted to do a blog post or a article about St. Valentine and the origins of Valentine's day, but time just got away from me. I wanted to see how this day came in to being, and what the true purpose was. We all know how repressed the victorian era was. Maybe that had somehting to do with it. So as disslusionment clouds my mind, I search for the true meaning of love. And it can't be found in a box of chocolates or words written by someone else on over priced cards. I think it's found in the day to day. When my eight year old wakes me up with a kiss on the cheek and a "where's my breakfast mom?" And my ten year old son still kisses me goodby at the bus stop. That is love! The best kind of love. Happy Valentines Day everyone!

No comments:

Post a Comment