Tuesday, March 1, 2011

Monday Book (I know it's Tuesday!!)

So here it is Tuesday and sadly I have no book reviews for you. I have two books I am dying to review, but they are tied to book tours and I have to keep you in suspense. So come back next Monday for the Review of Shelia Hendrix's The Betrayal and than on the 17th, FINALLY, 12.21.12. (I know I have been talking up 12.21.12, the book is phenomenal. And we have to keep an eye out for Killian, she is going to have New York Times best sellers for sure.)

Right now I am breaking from form and reading from my favorite era, the late Victorian era, and Bram Stoker's Dracula.
(I am reading the Original 1897 edition. Footnoted and forwarded by historian Brooke Allen.) Everyone knows I like Vampires, and I wanted to see the origins of all these other vampires that are pervading our culture. But also, I love history. And my maternal grandmother's parents were from Austria/Hungry, and the part of the world the first part of the novel takes place in. Some of the German dialect, Slovak traditions and folk tales are familiar to me, I heard them from my grandmother growing up. She had a lot of weird saying and superstitions, and it was from her I heard my earliest vampire tales. I will have a full review up in the next couple of days. But, if you are thinking old Bella Lugosi movies and stereotyped old school Dracula, you will be disappointed. Dracula was, and is, a work of Victorian era fiction and all its repression. It is truly frightening, and not in a blood and gore kind of way. Dracula has more in common with the "modern" vampires than you think, but he was not handsome or bestowed with redeeming qualities. He was a devil, and a metaphor for all the late 19th century social issues Stoker was exploring. I'll leave you with a tease from the book :

"No man knows till he experiences it, what it is to feel his own life blood drawn away into the veins of the woman he loves." (page 141, Dracula)

No comments:

Post a Comment