Friday, June 3, 2011

Rare New England Weather

Cow Heading Home - Holstein Cows - Chris Cummings Fine Art Art by Chris Cummings.My week was interesting. Looking back, I know it wasn't as bad as it could have been. It started off with a miserable Memorial day Monday. D was in rare form. I think I know what set him off, but it doesn't always have to be anything specific. After a very bad morning of misbehavior, he had to sit in the car with me while the rest of our Cub Scout Pack marched in the parade. Which just gave me time to get more aggravated, and I blew up at him. Like I promised myself time and time again I wouldn't do. Life is so full of broken promises. Imperfections, well, we all have them. Blowing up at D is my main weakness. I think staying over my mom's might have contributed, as well as his usual morning hyper mode. And it all just bubbled over. But, by nightfall we were back in the grove, D was all snuggle bug, and there always is a new day. That seems to be my mantra, "There always is a new day."


Tuesday we got a call that his cow got loose and was running all over Camp Marshal. By nightfall he had been spotted on Browning Pond Rd, a good five miles from camp and over a busy Rt.31. Who knew a calf could travel that fast! We decided not to tell D, and hubby and Kenny headed out to look for little Goldie. By ten PM Spencer PD was notified, and Goldie was gone.

Wednesday dawned hot, humid and just plain ominous in the weather department. Goldie was spotted in a few back yards. But no one could catch him. And by mid afternoon a tornado watch was up. After work and school I rushed through the grocery store and made it home to the tune of thunder. An hour later the watch turned to warning, the thunder storms were horrific, and the boys and I were down in Kenny's basement apartment.

Because C is so petrified of storms I didn't have the news on. I was getting updates on my phone from Kenny and the national weather service. I figured it was OK. By seven hubby was home and we went back up to the main house, I was thinking all was good. But it was the calm between the storms. When the sky got pitch black again I turned the news on, and man things were not good. Major "tornatic activity" (later confirmed as three tornadoes touching down.) was reported in towns not far from us. Within 15 miles, if that. And the damage was extensive. One of the towns was my brothers, I started texting my sister in law in earnest. C was freaking out, I felt so bad for him. I was freaking inside, but holding it together for the boys. Than I remembered the cow. By this point I had visions of the cow flying in the funnel cloud in the movie Twister, and figuring he was a goner.

By eleven o'clock the storms were long gone, the boys were sleeping and we were sitting and talking of how very lucky we were. And saying a prayer for all those who lost their homes. Brimfield is in ruins, as well as parts of Monson, Sturbridge, and Southbridge. Whole neighborhoods gone. This is New England. We are supposed to get blizzards, nor'easter, and the occasional hurricane. Not tornadoes. Everyone said that the Worcester tornado in the 50's, one of the most destructive tornadoes on record, was a freak occurrence. How wrong we can be when dealing with mother nature.

Than the phone rang.  Goldie was spotted in a yard on Browning Pond Road again, hubby and Kenny were off. After an hour they came home empty handed. He was so spooked by the storms and people chasing him he went off in the woods again. No hope of finding him in the dark. At least we knew he made it, the guys got a look at him.

Thursday morning dawned cool and clear. A sky so blue you would have never guessed what Massachusetts had just gone through. Spencer being relatively untouched, the kids had school, we had work, and we got a call from camp that Goldie was returned at four AM, under police esscort. Yeah, we were under a state of emergency and the police brought home one little boys cow. Only in New England.

So here it is Friday, and I have so much to be thankful for. I am monitoring the message boards for tornado relief, seeing what the need for donations is. Thinking of how I can get the cub scouts involved. Right now the need is more for clean up, they need lots of strong guys with chain saws. So the message boards say. I am also marveling once again at the power of nature and the devastation you can have one second, and the beauty the next. We think we have it made here in New England. No earthquakes, out of control wildfires, and up until the other day, no tornadoes. But I guess mother nature showed us. No one is immune. Something tells me this summer is going to be a bad one across the US. Weather wise.  We are going to have to keep one eye on the sky, and watch out for each other.

And we are going to have to make sure the cow has a stronger fence. I was up at camp this morning and they had got out again. This time was an easy catch.

1 comment:

  1. How on earth did you hold it together? I don't think interesting covers it ... I worried about you. Call soon 703.955.7142 XOXO

    ReplyDelete