Sunday, August 7, 2011

Book Review: Forever By, Maggie Stiefvater



then. When Sam met Grace, he was a wolf and she was a girl. eventually, he found a way to become a boy, and their love moved from a curious distance to the intense closeness of a shared lives.

now. That should have been the end of their story. But Grace was not  meant to stay human. now she is the wolf. And the wolfs of Mercy Falls are about to be killed in one final, spectacular hunt.

forever. Sam would do anything for Grace. But can one boy and one love really change a hostile, predatory world? The past, the present, and the future are about to collide in one pure moment- a moment of death or life, farewell or forever.

Forever by, Maggie Stiefvater
copyright 2011 by Maggie Stiefvater
Scholastic Press

I fell in love with Maggie Stiefvater back when Shiver, the first book in the trilogy, came out. Since than I have read, and own, every one of her books. I kind of credit her with getting me back in the swing of writing. She is just one of those writers that is amazingly talented and very accessible. So it was with great impatience that I waited for Forever to come out.

What I found was a story that tugged at my heart strings. And an ending that left me wanting more.

Forever starts with the death of one of the wolfs, the despair of Sam, and the reinvention of Cole. Sam is struggling to find a way to live in a world where he is both missing Grace, and blamed for her disappearance. As the weather warms and Grace appears human, Sam is forced to deal with the after effects of her transformation, and the ever changing path of their relationship. They are both growing up. And the implications of their love change both of them for the better.

Cole is working on a cure, and the changes in him are subtle, but important, throughout the story. We begin to see the potential that Beck saw in him as he sheds the self centered rock star image. And the painful past that has long hunted him. The same can be said for Isabel. As much as she resents Cole, and some of the wolfs, she begins to see the importance of her friendship with Grace and Sam, and let's Cole into little glimpses of her life. This is defiantly the part of the story where they all grow up and the questions are answered.

As Grace resurfaces and confronts her parents, the wolf hunt begins, and the desperate task of protecting the pack. What occurs is a life and death race as wolf and human collide and the Boundary Woods are left for good. Maggie does a great job of wrapping up most loose ends and giving closure to the main characters. Even if that closure comes with the death of some of the pack.

I loved this book. I was sad to see the story come to an end. The only problem I had was I felt I was left hanging in regards to the future of Sam and Grace. I would have loved to know if the cure worked, and if they had that happily ever after outside the woods.  But I guess some things are better left to the readers imagination! I can't wait to see what worlds Maggie discovers next, in fact Iihave already pre-ordered my copy of the Scorpio Races. I don't think I would even loan this one out, it gets a permanent spot on the shelf!

No comments:

Post a Comment