Thursday, December 29, 2011

My favorite Books of 2011






I was way far off my 100 book goal in the "100 Books in a Year Challenge". ( I am probably looking at a total of about 22. But add in my writing, work, Novel Publicity,raising kids, and it really is not that bad. I guess.) Looking back at the books I have read this year a few stand out among them as my favorites. Weather for the characters, the stories, or the writing, these books have stuck with me. Here is my top books read in 2011. You can check out any of my reviews for them here on the blog.

Mockngjay   The final book in the Hunger Games trilogy, Mockingjay tied everything up nicely and gave a fitting send off to Katniss and Peeta. Suzanne Collins did a fantastic job of tying everything up and answering  any questions we may have had. But she also left the future open for the pair. There is no question that she set the bar high for other dystopian series. And as sad as I was to see the saga end, it was time. The world she created is scarily believable, and hardcore fans will be talking about it for years.

In Leah's Wake  The debut book by Indie author Terri Giuliano Long surprised me, captured my attention, and held me captive. So many things about that book struck a chord with me. From the setting (central Massachusetts) the family dynamics, and the totally believable cast of characters, Terri did a fantastic job. I would categorize this book as literary fiction, which is tough shoes to fill. But it reaches the bar in my mind. I also had the pleasure of interviewing Terri and corresponding with her off and on throughout this year, and she is gracious and pleasant person who is easy to talk to. This book is a great example of how good self published and indie authors can be. It deserves all the buzz it has been getting. Read it.

Farsighted  Another debut book by a indie author, Farsighted came to us by way of my wonderful friend, and boss, Emlyn Chand. Farsighted has a new and unique platform to offer the YA book world. From the perspective of the main characters, the diversity, and the world view, it is a perfect read if you are in the market for a departure from vampires and wear wolfs, and the usual YA platform. It takes the definition of paranormal to the top of the food chain.

Image DetailForever  is the last book in the wolf's of Mercy Falls series by Maggie Stiefvater. I would be remiss if I did not have this book on my list. For me it left too many loose ends in Sam and Grace's love affair. But closed out another of my favorite series so I had to place it on here.

12.21.12  by Killian McRae.  12.21.12 was another one of my Indie faves and a paranormal/sci-fi offering that held my attention. Killian is a wonderful story teller and she followed up this one with the highly entertaining romance, A Love By any Measure. I am not usually a sci-fi girl so that will tell you how good it was to end up on my list. (Killian was another author I had the pleasure of interviewing this year.)

I can round out my list with Passion by Lauren Kate and The Forgotten Garden by Kate Morton. All the books I read this year were good, but those listed were the ones that really captured my attention and made me want to go hawk them on a street corner. I am starting 2012 with a new Kindle and a two page list of books I want to read. So I am sure I will have no shortage of reviews for the coming year. All I need is more time.

What were your favorite books this year? Let me know in the comments. And may 2012 be filled with good books. And lots of them. Maybe I can hit that 100Th book.

2 comments:

  1. I didn't make my goal of 100 books either but a few of my favorites were: Divergent, the sword of truth series, and the Graceling.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks Molly! It was a long shot for me to shoot for the hundred mark, but we try. :) Graceling was a awesome book, I forgot about that one.

    ReplyDelete