Friday, January 6, 2012

Why we Love Reading



When I realized Emlyn was hosting this challenge through her blog I was so on board. The concept is awesome, re-discover the books that made you fall in love with reading, and find out if you still love them. By reading one book a month that we loved from our childhoods, and blogging about it. I love reading. Initially when I was a young girl it helped me escape from the chaos and uncertainty that filled my childhood. I found wonderful, non judgmental  friends in books. They were always there for you when you needed them. And besides, reading was something I was good at. I excelled at reading and writing in school. And it is still where I find peace. (Who didn't want to be Anne from Anne of Green Gables and escape to gorgeous Prince Edwards Island and dance in Victorian gowns?)

So when I started thinking about those early books a lot of ones I had not thought about in years jumped into my head. From Laura Ingalles Wilder, Beverly Clearly, and C.S. Lewis, to the classic of Mary Shelly and D.H Lawrence, I have tons to choose from. So here are the twelve books I would like to re-read from my childhood and teens. I hope some of my friends will join me in this journey. 

Bridge to Terabithia
Frankenstein
The Lion, The Witch and The Wardrobe
To Kill A Mockingbird
Lord of The Flies
Little House on The Prairie
Little Women
The Secret Garden
The Velveteen Rabbit
The Adventures of Tom Sawyer
Anne of Green Gables

So this is a wide variety of books. But they are all fondly remembered from my childhood.  I actually am really excited to take this walk down memory lane. (And most of them can be found for free on my Kindle!!)
Stay Tuned. 

2 comments:

  1. Thanks for joining in the challenge, Becca. Your list is spectacular! I'm totally going to read Little House on the Prairie to. Checking out everyone else's posts is giving me so many great ideas for myself!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I really love the idea. There are so many great books we forget about when we get caught up in all the new ones. Can't wait to see what books you choose!!!! :)

    ReplyDelete