Monday, April 23, 2012

Book Review: Honey the Hero By, Emlyn Chand


Honey the Hero



Honey, an inquisitive young parakeet living in the Australian Outback, decides to become a superhero after she spies a human family watching Superman. Since she already has the power of flight, all she needs to do is create a costume to conceal her true identity and then fly off in search of animals that need rescuing.

Unfortunately, every time she tries to help, Honey only ends up making matters worse. She spoils Kangaroo’s game of hide-and-go-seek by revealing his hiding place to Wallaby; Mr. Anteater must go hungry when she alerts the ants to his presence, and Mrs. Koala is made a laughingstock among bears when Honey pretends to be her Joey. Finally realizing that she’s not as heroic as she’d like, Honey gives up her day-saving efforts.

But what happens when someone actually needs Honey’s help? Will she rise to the challenge?

Honey the Hero is the first in a new series of color-illustrated books for children entitled The Bird Brain Books.






So this is the first book review I am doing on a children's book and I am doing it with a guest blogger. My awesome son Dale. If the author's name looks familiar that is because it is by my good friend, and Novel Publicity owner, Emlyn Chand. But that has not stopped Dale from giving you his honest opinion.  So without further ado... take it away Dale. 




Hi my name is Dale and I am nine years old. I am pretty excited because this is the first time I get to review a book, and I really like parrots. I liked how Honey made her own cape and mask. I think she is really smart.  I also liked that she lived in Australia. My mom really likes Australia. I got kind of sad because the other animals thought Honey was making trouble at first. But then Honey saved the dingo and everyone knew how nice she was. I think this author writes real good. And I really loved all the pictures. I think kids will really like this book. I hope mom's friend let's me read the next one.  And I like to watch Ducky on the computer too. I think he is a friend of Honey's. ~~Dale~~

As Dale said "Honey the Hero" was a well done book and I really enjoyed sharing it with him . I think it is great for it's target age group.  And early readers will enjoy having it read to them.  Honey really showcases the wide range Emlyn has in her writing. From "Farsighted"  to this book, to her upcoming sci-fi series, she really has evolved into a versatile author.  She makes me want to strive even farther in my own work. I am buying a copy to donate to my son's resource classroom because I just know many kids will love to follow Honey's adventures.  We both are looking forward to the next installment in the Bird Brain Books series.  




(I received a copy of this e- book from the author for review and received no compensation for said review. )


2 comments:

  1. Awww, thank you, Dale and Becca! I'm so glad you both liked Honey. And, Dale, you are right! Honey and Ducky are friends. I actually do have a parakeet named Honeydew in real life. My Honey's a boy though :-P

    I would love to give you a copy of Davey the Detective when it's ready. That will be out in two months. We have four more Bird Brain Books coming shortly too. It's so much fun writing these books!

    Emlyn :-D

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Emlyn! He has only had me read it with him about five times a day :)

      Delete