Tuesday, November 6, 2012

Book Review: One Night With A Hero


One Night With A Hero By, Laura Kaye 

One Night with a Hero (The Hero, #2)

He wants just one night…

After growing up with an abusive, alcoholic father, Army Special Forces Sgt. Brady Scott vowed never to marry or have kids. Sent stateside to get his head on straight—and his anger in check—Brady’s looking for a distraction. He finds it in his beautiful new neighbor’s one-night-only offer for hot sex, but her ability to make him forget is addictive. Suddenly, Brady’s not so sure he can stay away.

…what they need is each other.

Orphaned as a child, community center director Joss Daniels swore she’d never put herself in a position to be left behind again, but she can’t deny herself one sizzling night with the sexy soldier who makes her laugh and kisses her senseless. When Joss discovers she’s pregnant, Brady’s rejection leaves her feeling abandoned. Now, they must overcome their fears before they lose the love and security they’ve found in each other, but can they let go of the past to create a future together?


~~~~Laura Kaye is amazing, a force to be reckoned with in the contemporary romance world. Romance with substance.~~~~

I have so much to say about this book I don't know where to start. So I have to start here. Laura Kaye is an amazing writer who captures the feelings of returning military issues like none I have ever read. By combining potent, sexy love stories, with the emotions of issues face by those wounded in battle, and life, she has touched on my heart. And I am sure the heart of many others. In fact by chapter 2 I was in tears. **Spoiler Alert** when Brady stops to give the Vietnam vet his leftover food, and does so in such a affirming and respectful way, I had to put the book down and cry. I could only think of my dad. I could only think of those times I had walked on the shores of the Potomac myself, meeting the eyes of those who have served for us. She had me. I sat and finished the book right than and there. 

You can sit and analyze Brady and the effects of PTSD from both his time in the special forces and his childhood of abuse, or you can do it subconsciously while lost in the story, both are easy to do. I connected with Joss on so many levels. Her neglected childhood, her need for love and acceptance, the fear she felt at both loving Brady and loosing him. Perfect, as near perfect as it  can get.  Two people who never needed each other more, fighting the emotions within them. The whole time I was willing them together, cursing their hardheadedness, and rooting for Brady to conquer the demons in his head and fight for Joss's love. The twist fate throws at them, well, let's just say it forms the catalyst of healing they both need.  Two characters in a book never belonged together more. 

And if you have read the first book in this series, Her Forbidden Hero, you will be happy to see Alyssa and Marco make return appearances. I love that. It gave the story that much more depth and substance. You can see the family being formed between them, you can feel the healing surround them. This book would have been incomplete without them. 

I have read every single one of Laura Kaye's books. (No exaggeration!) And in my opinion this one is hands down her best. I tried as hard as I could to find one flaw with it, and I couldn't. For me it was near perfection. The best combination of erotic romance and real life struggle I have read in a long time. She blends them seamlessly, she makes those scenes seem integral to the story, and completely in tune. I don't like book to movie adaptations very much. Too many things get lost.  But if ever I wanted to see two characters on the screen, it would be Brady and Joss.  I think so many people could connect with this story for so many varied reasons.  So I have to say this one is a keeper. And even though I have it on my Kindle, I need to buy the paperback. That cover is just too gorgeous to pass up! 

Laura Kaye
Laura Kaye is a bestselling and award-winning author of paranormal, contemporary and erotic romance. Laura's hot, heartfelt stories are all about the universal desire for a place to belong. Laura grew up amidst family lore involving angels, ghosts, and evil-eye curses, cementing her life-long fascination with the supernatural. Though an avid fiction writer as a teenager, a career as a historian took her in other directions until recently. Now that Laura's inner muse has awakened, she's constantly creating new story ideas! Laura lives in Maryland with her husband, two daughters, and cute-but-bad dog, and appreciates her view of the Chesapeake Bay every day.


2 comments:

  1. This review really means a lot to me! Thank you! xoxo!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Awwww, it meant a lot to me that you read it. Thanks so much Laura <3

    ReplyDelete