Friday, November 30, 2012

Book Review: Tommy Goes Trick or Treating

Tommy Goes Trick-or-Treating


Today I am posting a really special review for Emlyn Chand's book Tommy Goes Trick or Treating. This is the third book in the Bird Brain series by Emlyn and just like every other book there, it tells a story with an important lesson. This book is perfect for the age group of K-3rd grade, and just right for first timers who want to read on their own. The pace rolls smoothly along and the illustrations are colorful and spring off the page. I read this book with my 9 year old, and he loved it. 

When Tommy discovers a group of children Trick or Treating he turns to his friend Michael, the curious and outgoing raccoon, to find out what the heck is going on. What ensues is a comical look at what happens when animals try to Trick or Treat with humans, and what happens when you get too greedy. Tommy and Michael both learn that you can get too much of a good thing and that sharing is a far better option. 


My son learns best through seeing something in a concrete situation. It was fun to hear him guess on what would happen next and which animal would take the fall. He loved the vibrant illustrations and the Halloween scenery. (I am going to throw a special recommendation to parents with kids on the Autistic spectrum, like my son, he has trouble with empathy and it was great to see him make the connection in this book on how the kids might feel when being tricked by Tommy. It also helped him get the message of the whole Trick or Treating thing, which I know some of our spectrum kids have a hard time with)

All in all this book is perfect for the middle elementary grades, and showcases once again just how versatile Emlyn Chand is in her writing. Weather it's literary fiction, YA, or children's books, I have yet to find something by her I don't like. 

(Stay tuned because I will be reviewing her newest children's book, Courtney Saves Christmas, in the next few days. Hopefully we can get Dale to do a guest post on that on.)   

Emlyn Chand emerged from the womb with a fountain pen clutched in her left hand (true story). When she's not writing, she runs a large book club in Ann Arbor and is the president of author PR firm Novel Publicity Best known for her Young Adult novels, she is also developing a small, but devoted, following to her children's book series and is beginning to dabble in other genres as well. Emlyn enjoys connecting with readers and is available via almost every social media site in existence. Visit  www.emlynchand.com for more info. Don't forget to say "hi" to her sun conure Ducky!

2 comments:

  1. I love this review, Becca! My favorite part is hearing about how Dale relates to each of the books. Even if the Bird Brain Books never make it big, having him as a fan is enough for me.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Aww thanks Em!!! He really does love them, I swear I have Honey the Hero memorized. lol The review for Courtney will be up soon. I'm still hoping I can get him to write some of it.

    ReplyDelete