Friday, December 14, 2012

Grief, Love and Loss



As writers we turn to our words when we are faced with challenges. Though we may not be able to articulate those words eloquently as we try to speak, they will always flow to the page. So it's to here I turn  tonight as I try to find a way to wind down and process the rage and violence experienced so close to me. 

It is so beyond my comprehension that someone could perpetrate such violence on innocent children. I don't even know where to begin to explain it to my own children, all I could do was hold them close and take in every moment with them. It's now, I said to them, that we need god the most. Have we as a society become so desensitized to not only violence, but the needs of others, that these monsters walk among us unchallenged? 

How can you even start to comfort a mother as she faces the loss of something so dear and so young. There are no words that can say enough. I can not even begin to imagine the pain, something that was a part of you gone forever. It makes me want to keep my own children locked in my house. But we can't, because then they have won. I can't help but believe there is a god waiting for them in that better place. Because to not believe, is something even more darker.   Another battle lost.

We grieve the loss of lives and the loss of innocence. We demand answers, when in truth there are no easy ones. Some start to point fingers, speculate and analyze, when they don't even know the facts. All I do know is we can not continue to sensationalize these people and report endlessly on them. Shame on the news media who feel they have to interview children and bombard us with constant images of private moments of grief.  So many facts have been reported wrong today, so many innocent faces splashed across our TV screens, and so many moments of pain.

As I go to bed tonight I pray for all those effected by this tragedy. I pray for my children, I pray for a society that has to explain these things over and over again to their children, I pray for a better tomorrow. 
Maybe tomorrow my words will make more sense. 

"Let the little children come to me, and do not hinder them, for the kingdom of God belongs to such as these."
Luke 18:16-17 

No comments:

Post a Comment