Wednesday, January 30, 2013

Genre (I sit and scratch my head at you!)






I have been reading a lot about genre lately. It seems to keep popping up hand in hand when we talk about Indie publishing and self publishing, but it's also starting to pop up everywhere. Just this week I have read five blog posts across my bloggerverse about the subject. I have discussed it some with a few author acquaintances on Facebook, and to tell you the truth, I have been lying in bed thinking about it. I don't know why, I mean I do have other  things to think about.

 I really have no idea what genre I fall in with my books. I have one coming out this year, I am working on my second one in that series, and if someone asked me to classify it I would be left standing with my mouth agape. I know it's not YA in a traditional YA sense. I always thought it was paranormal romance. Then the  buzz word all the rage is New Adult. Gee.. as much as I hate that term, that might be where it ends up.

And I am left questioning myself. As Indie publishing used to send some readers running for the hills, and now it's all the rage, how about this whole genre thing. What genres do readers take seriously? I know I read them all. And as much as I aspire to write a great Literary Novel, it's highly unlikely I ever will.  (I have one outlined that could be, but it's one that won't be finished in the near future.)

To be honest I like to entertain my readers as much as I like to be entertained. Sometimes you just want to get lost in something light and fluffy and feel good. Sometimes you want mindless dime store romance, and sometimes you want earth shattering dystopia. And yes there are those times you want to be challenged to think deeper and ponder a great piece of literature. Can't they all happily co-exist on one book shelf? Can't a writer write both? And be taken seriously?

I am of the mind that all books have a place in the world. What I like to read might not be what you like to read. I can go from reading Bronte on day to Twilight the next. I will admit I read the whole Fifty Shades of Gray series. They were by no means mind shattering pieces of art, I could leave them. But I did notice that people who NEVER read were reading them! I even heard someone say they might try reading some other stuff too. GASP! They might continue reading. And isn't that what we want, for people to read.

So I guess my whole point in all this is let's not bash each other and our genres. So what if one does not write literary fiction. So what if someone does good writing erotica. Give the YA books the credit they deserve. And for God sake stop inventing new genres just to market books. Let the people read what they want to read. I am just going to let mine fall where it may.

  

2 comments:

  1. Oh my goodness! Awesome article dude! Thank you, However I
    am going through issues with your RSS. I don't understand why I am unable to join it. Is there anyone else getting identical RSS problems? Anyone who knows the solution can you kindly respond? Thanks!!
    Also visit my web page : Colin Kaepernick Jerseys

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks so much Colin!!! :) I'm sorry you are having trouble with the RSS. I am going to try and figure that out today. You made my day with your comment. <3

    ReplyDelete