Thursday, February 7, 2013

Coffee With Elaine...


Runaway Girl: The Secrets of Avelina Chronicles (Volume 1)


My guest today is Elaine White Author of Runaway Girl which is now available from Write More Publications. Elaine and I have gotten to be good friends, so we sat down over our computers, me here in the US and her in Scotland, and had a little chat. We talked about vampires, writing, and a few of those little things that make us the authors that we are. So sit back with your coffee and enjoy.


Me: Were you afraid going into this project that there were too many vampire books in the market. 

Elaine: Yes, in that people might look at the book and think ‘Not another one!’ and not bother reading it.  And no, because maybe the more personal, character focused take in my stories, will attract new readers who wouldn't normally read vampire books.  It could be that hardcore vampire fans won’t see it as a ‘true’ vampire story when compared to others in the genre.  Everyone is different, so I don’t think there really can be ‘too many’.

Me: You certainly keep the story fresh and add your own take on the vampire world. Kind of like a mix of True Blood and the Vampire Diaries. Where do you find your inspiration? 

Elaine: Thanks.  I wanted to take a little of what I knew of the vampire stories - the personal aspect of Blade; the inside world of Underworld; the attitude of Damon in Vampire Diaries - and do things a little differently.  I wanted to take the best parts of them all and mould them into something I would like to read.  The more I wrote, the more it adapted into what it is.

Me: I love the whole concept of this book. The story being told from the perspectives of the five girls really adds depth. Which character do you relate the most too? (Is any one of the girls your favorite?)

Elaine: I guess there’s a little of me in all the girls.  Amelia has the most attitude, Maria is conflicted and Kaitlin is strong and brave.  My favourite is Kaitlin.  I really love her growth and her spirit; her complete ability to accept anything thrown at her.  After leaving the Island, nothing surprises her anymore.  I love how she grows and explores her new life through the series.

Me: You leave the door open for this story to go many directions. Have you thought of focusing on any one character?

Elaine: Yes.  I could easily take any of the characters and expand on them.  I have one in the works for Maya so far.  The rest of the series focuses on Damian.  But I do take a completely new character in each book and make them the second focus, to keep things fresh.  I love them all too much to abandon completely, so I might revisit some of the lesser characters in the future, and give them their own story.  Who knows?

Me:  Tell us one fun fact about you. J

Elaine: I’m a total geek: I love to learn.  I actually have a certificate in Forensic Medicine and Science from Edinburgh Uni, and another in Humanities from the Open Uni.  I’m a major study buff.  I’m hoping to complete my BA Open in 2014.



Thanks so much Elaine for talking with us. (And don't worry, I am a total geek too.   In fact that's something else we have in common, I have a Criminal Justice degree.)  Everyone please stop by tomorrow for the review of Runaway Girl and some great giveaways. There will be e-books up for grabs and some other cool swag. 
Elaine  White
Elaine White was born and raised in the small town of Haddington, Scotland. She began writing from an early age when she thought that she would have written differently passages from the books she was reading.

At the age of 14, she tweaked existing stories to experiment with various writing styles. Eventually, this led to her taking a Creative Writing course and writing her own stories from scratch. Now, she finds inspiration everywhere, which has lead to numerous novels and series ranging from college romance and crime to the supernatural world of witches and vampires.

Elaine currently lives at home in Scotland with her parents and boisterous poodle. She is a full time student and full time writer.

You can find Elaine on her Facebook page and Goodreads.  Her books are available on Amazon. 

No comments:

Post a Comment