Tuesday, February 19, 2013

Novel Publicity Blog Tour: Road to Tomorrow


 Andrea Garrett is trying to escape her abusive marriage. Fearing for her life, she leaves her two small children with her twin brother and flees her home the day before her husband is due to arrive back from a tour of duty. After falling asleep at the wheel and landing in a ditch, her life takes on a new direction when strangers step in and introduce her to a life she could only have imagined and one that could save her soul and give her children the future they deserve. Get Road to Tomorrow through Amazon or Barnes & Noble.


Road to Tomorrow was one of those books that when I got the email for the blog tour I just knew I had to read it. It seemed to have everything I love in a book, great story, captivating characters, and a wonderful setting. Than when I got my copy and started to read I was even more enamored. The book was set in a fictional Massachusetts town.One really common out here where we mix farms and antique shops. And being from a small Massachusetts farm community, I really connected with the setting and the feeling she was trying to create. That was what I loved, I could relate to the characters and the setting, and really it could be any one of the towns out here on the edge of central MA.

Than you have the story line. Army wife facing spousal abuse and a mentally ill husband.  The tough choices of choosing what is right for you and your children in the long run, and the pain of separation in the short term. The stigma of mental illness and traumatic brain injury, and the even more complicated issue of facing that in the fish bowl of the military. The questions of how we perceive these issues, and how we treat them in returning service members. That alone would be enough to pack into any novel. But Metcalfe adds more.

She adds the tough choices and decisions we face when we decide to start over. She adds the tenderness of finding love again. Of learning to trust again. She adds the sub plot of a grieving widower and his son. She weaves this fantastic story of love and acceptance mixing all kinds of people and relationships. And it works. She packs all this story and feeling into under two hundred pages of very readable and relatable prose. I just couldn't put it down.

I loved all the characters, they were believable and likable. I especially loved Carol, the antiques dealer with a heart of gold. With her years of wisdom she fulfills both friend and mother for Andrea, giving her the family she has so obviously longed for. Carol's" family" is a mix of locals that band together to protect Andrea from her past when it comes looking for her in the form of her husband. Andrea can not believe the love these strangers show for her and her children. In the blink of an eye they have her set up in a new life, filled with promise and new horizons.  But just when you think that Andrea has her feet under her and her past far behind her, a plot twist comes out of nowhere and adds to a suspenseful ending. I love the way the story is told without pretense and in a straightforward manner. And when Andrea falls in love so soon again, I really found it believable. Who says we have to put a time limit on what our heart feels?

I give this book four stars and a permanent place on my shelf. If you are looking for a quick romantic and suspenseful read in the form of woman's literature, this is the book for you.


About the author: Mary Metcalfe lives in the foothills of the Laurentians, northeast of Ottawa, Canada with her husband, three cats and a very large dog. Love of writing runs in the family. Their daughter is a published literary non-fiction author. Clarion Review described Mary’s debut novel as a “sparkling debut… readers will love being swept along by Winds of Change.”Road to Tomorrow is her third novel in the Look to the Future series. Connect with Mary on her website, blog, Facebook, GoodReads, or Twitter.

About the prizes: Who doesn't love prizes? You could win one of two $50 Amazon gift cards or an autographed copy of Road to Tomorrow! Here's what you need to do...


  1. Enter the Rafflecopter contest


  2. Leave a comment on my blog.


  3. That's it! One random commenter during this tour will win the first gift card. Visit more blogs for more chances to win--the full list of participating bloggers can be found here. The other two prizes will be given out via Rafflecopter. You can find the contest entry form linked below or on the official Road to Tomorrow tour page via Novel Publicity. Good luck!



    a Rafflecopter giveaway



    10 comments:

    1. Sounds like a deep, probing novel with complex issues and a fantastic cast of realistic characters. Thanks for a lovely review!

      ReplyDelete
      Replies
      1. Thanks so much Karielle. And thanks for stopping by my blog

        Delete
    2. Rebecca - I was just thrilled that you found the Massachusetts setting so realistic and believable. I've been through it a couple of times and was charmed by its bucolic atmosphere. I know there's a seedy side to every place but I didn't choose to include it in Road to Tomorrow. This was Andrea's story and happy ever after ending. Your review really made my day!!

      ReplyDelete
      Replies
      1. You hit the nail pretty much on the head, lol, it's kinda like the town I live in. And there are those sides, but the farm people I know outweigh the negatives. I meant everything I said, this was a great book I could not put down.

        Delete
    3. If the whole book is like the excerpt I won't be able to put it down

      ReplyDelete
      Replies
      1. You won't Suzie! The excerpt sums it all up nice. It's an amazing book. Thanks for stopping by my blog :)

        Delete
    4. Wonderful review, Becca. I can just picture you living in Laskin, tending to a herd of cattle :-D Thanks for joining us on this tour and for cross-posting your review!

      Em <3

      ReplyDelete
    5. I love your tours Em!!! My pleaseure :)

      ReplyDelete
    6. I like that you say you love the characters. That's the most important element in a book for me.

      ReplyDelete
      Replies
      1. Exactly. And the characters are really relatable in this book. Thanks so much for stopping by :)

        Delete