Wednesday, July 31, 2013

Dreams: "In order to succeed......"





Following your dreams can be a real scary thing. 

From the time I was seven I knew I wanted to be a writer. I loved books, they were my world. When friends were scarce and my parent's marriage was breaking down around me books were always there. I excelled at reading and grammar. Where I was basically lost in the water for anything math related, I could hold my own grade levels ahead with language arts. They said I was dyslexic. That I would always struggle. Maybe that was true when Algebra gave me panic attacks in high school. But advanced english, look out.

Than high school was coming to a close. College was on the horizon. My creative writing teacher my senior year pushed me toward a good school and a literature degree. My mom pushed me toward community college and a Criminal Justice degree. She won out. We were lower income, scraping by, sending me to Catholic High school had already put her thousands of dollars in debt. Plus, I was scared of my own shadow. I looked to her to guide me. I stopped writing. I read only sporadically. I graduated with a two year degree, got married, and still worked in the job I had all through college. Which was in health care, not even criminal justice. My dreams were lost somewhere in the shuffle of trying to survive. 

Where am I going with this? Bear with me, you will see.

Fast forward about eleven years, a crumbling marriage, a forclosed house, two little boys who were my world, and one old computer. I started to blog, this blog, to work through my feelings of isolation. I discovered I could still write. And I loved it. The world of blogging turned me on to reading again, it was the time of Twilight mania, and I got hooked. This blog evolved to a book blog. Reviews, tours, and meeting some great writers. Who encouraged me to write again. Writers and dreamers who took me into their world, and through the crazy internet stratosphere, become some of my best friends. And biggest supporters. I started to write with a vengeance.  

Even when my mom told me it was crazy to do "that writing thing" again, I kept on. Even when I never thought it would go anywhere. Than a stroke of luck lead me to Emlyn Chand and Jamie Sue Wilsoncroft. Two people who believed in me and encouraged me. Which ultimately lead me to my home, Write More Publications, and the release of my first novel in a few months. 

Is it scary? Damn right it's scary. Scary beautiful. 

Now with my publisher's guidance and support I am starting a new venture in the world of writing. Trying to bring blog tours and blogging to more people. And making sure our books reach more and more people. Am I scared? Hell yah. I don't know where this will lead me. I don't know if it will be successful. But Bill Cosby said, "In order to succeed, your desire for success should be greater than your fear of failure."  I have a desire to succeed. 

For once in my life I'm following my dream. Let's see where it will take me.


No comments:

Post a Comment