Tuesday, March 25, 2014

Book Review: Kay Glass's Survival Instinct


http://www.amazon.com/Survival-Instinct-Kay-Glass-ebook/dp/B00J4WPA32/ref=sr_1_1?s=books&ie=UTF8&qid=1395760880&sr=1-1&keywords=survival+instinct+kay+glass
 
 

Nadine Chesterfield was a forensic technician when the first body sat up in the middle of an autopsy, changing the world as she knew it. She was engaged and pregnant, and her life was all she'd wished it would be. All that changed in the blink of an eye. The government was testing a new vaccine- a cure for the common cold- but it had deadly consequences. Now Nadine is on the run, not just from the creatures that were once human but from the military who want to stop her before she can tell the truth. She'll meet other survivors along the way and learn that instinct is the only thing that can truly keep her alive. *Contains harsh language and gory scenes.


Lately I tend to be drawn to post apocalyptic and dystopian novels. Like the fantasy worlds I write, their ability to create new worlds, with their own rules, appeals to me. What can be done is limitless compared to other fiction genres.   But I especially love it when they hold on to a little bit of realism. When the world is so close to reality it makes you think. Survival Instinct was just that kind of book for me.

From the first page it had me hooked. I read it in one night. (Unheard of for me these days with all the demands on my time. ) I couldn't put it down. Make dinner? Who wants to do something as mundane as make dinner when Nadine is struggling for her life.

What makes this book so great is Nadine in my opinion. Her vulnerabilities and her weaknesses make her real. The strength she shows in adversity makes her real. The choices she has to make on the fly define her. Not only her, but her unborn child as well. I think I wouldn't fare half as well as Nadine if I woke up in this pandemic filled world. Don't get me wrong, she makes her share of mistakes. And one that causes her to pay the ultimate price. But she makes it farther than most.

In a world filled with 'zombie' books, this one takes a unique and realistic stance. The story feels fresh, the characters are flawed but loveable. The story is paced in a way that draws you in and keeps you there. The believability factor is there, and the author does something I really liked. She gave us a relationship that was organic, real and touching. When Ryan and Nadine meet, there is no love at first sight you are my savior moment. There is doubt, there is conflict, there is an awkward getting to know you stage, and she allows their relationship to develop over time. To the point you know that Nadine is falling in love with Ryan even before she does. Necessity budding into true affection. Refreshing.

And the amazing thing is this whole story develops over a short one hundred and six pages. Trust me, this book felt much longer. So much was packed into it, and it worked. I only had a few moments where I had to look back and say, ok, who's talking here or how did they get to this place. Small inconsequential gaps that really didn't take away from the story. Just the right amount of gore and definitely made me think of how I would behave if placed in similar circumstances. We might think we have survival skills, but do we have the instinct to keep us alive?

Totally give this book five stars. Love it, a keeper I will read again.

Product Details


  • File Size: 1308 KB
  • Print Length: 109 pages
  • Simultaneous Device Usage: Unlimited
  • Publisher: Visionary Press Collaborative (March 19, 2014)
  • Sold by: Amazon Digital Services, Inc.
  • Language: English
  • ASIN: B00J4WPA32
  • Text-to-Speech: Enabled
  • X-Ray:
  • Lending: Enabled


About the Author:

Kay Glass is the author of the Just One Bite series, Puppet of the Fates, and a variety of short stories. She also writes and publishes under the pen name Kendra Glenn. Kay lives in Delaware with her husband, their two children, and a variety of beloved pets. When she's not writing, she can be found reading, swimming, playing video games and spending time with her family.

Image of Kay Glass

2 comments:

  1. Thank you so much for your fantastic review, Rebecca! I'm beaming ear to ear. I'm so glad you enjoyed the book as much as I enjoyed writing it. And I'm truly glad the characters spoke to you.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. My pleasure. :) such a great book to review

      Delete