Saturday, October 11, 2014

JIll Cooper Talks About Her Horror Faves.......


This is the rocking ghost in the graveyard Wallpaper, Background ...



Today we have a great interview with the super talented Jill Cooper. Jill is an author of YA, adult dystopian, Romance and horror novels. Her YA series Dream Slayer is currently her most popular, but one of my all time favorites from her is the horror romance Devour. (You can read my review for Devour here: http://beccab8.blogspot.com/2014/07/indie-book-standout-devour-horror.html)

There is no question Jill Cooper is a talented author, and having met her in person, one awesome and sweet lady. But she does love her horror. As you can see in the following interview.
 Jill Cooper

Me:      How did you get interested in writing in the paranormal/horror genre? And who was your biggest influence.

Jill: I’ve always loved things that go bump in the night, even as a kid. So I guess you could say I grew up in it! Stephen King was always my biggest influence and who I definitely looked up to. I started reading his books when I was around 12 and never really looked back! I always liked how he wove real world problems into his books (like marriage and alcoholism in the Shinning) and put seemingly real, but flawed, characters in these nuts situations.

Me:   Tell us about your current protect/projects.

 
 Jill: I have so many projects, it’s hard to pick just one! I’m planning the next 15 Minutes book and plotting the final Glistening Haven book to wrap up that trilogy. Right now I am writing book 6 and 7 in the Dream Slayer series and that will end that urban fantasy YA series. I do have plans to bring the main characters back in a NA urban fantasy series.

  

Me:     Have you ever had a character just take over? Like have they invaded your mind so much you can’t stop thinking about them.

 Jill: Yes, for sure! The best one is probably Morach the Great, the villain in the Dream Slayer. He was only supposed to last one scene, but he just kept coming back! And completely changed the series in Book 3. That dastardly villain!! When I am writing the Dream Slayer books I am always thinking about Natalie and what her next step is. Since I don’t outline or plot in advance, I need to be thinking all the time!


Me:     Characters you would like to go back and explore more. Who and why.

Jill: The Dream Slayer series is really my heart and soul on a plate. So all those side characters that don’t get  a lot of ‘screen’ time I would love to explore more. For 15 Minutes, I love the villain Rex and would like to write for him more some days.


Me:     How far would you go for a scare? Is there anything that’s off limits to you? (Like I make it a personal rule to not write about kids or animals being harmed. Anything else is fair game.)

Jill: No rules for me! In fact the more taboo the better! Kids are total fair game, however I might not show the gore on screen. Under the right circumstances kids in horror can be horribly creepy! I wouldn’t torture a kid or do something that is a genre no no (like in YA I would fade to black first.)


Me:     Scariest movie you ever saw. If one did scare you….

 Jill: There are so many that scare me because really I can’t handle much. I don’t go for gore, I go for the creepy bumps or those unexpected moments. Poltergeist was one that scared me as a kid. I remember running past my closet for fear it would suck me in. The Ring scared me so much as an adult, I put a towel on my TV when sleeping.

 
Me:  Favorite classic horror story…

Jill: I love them all! Seriously. No, it’s true. My favorites do involve the demon possessed house that slowly changes the personality of the people living there until the inevitable death starts to occur. And anything that involves ghosts walking a lone high way looking for help. So sad!
 
Jill and I do share a couple things in common. Our love for Stephen King and the Shining for one, and the fact we don't go for gore in our horror movies. I am one for more of a psychological scare. Something that we can't explain away, or something that just comes form within. I think that's why I liked Devour so much. The demons in Devour were basically the dark spots of our souls.
 
Jill Cooper wants to bend the rules and craft stories unlike you've never read before. She would love for you to break out in a cold sweet of fear, excitement and longing when you read her books. And she would like nothing more than for her books to be an experience you want to relive, again and again.
 
You can find out more about Jill Cooper and her books by visiting her at the sites below:
And you can get a free copy of the first book in her YA series Dream Slayer here. Take a sneak peek:
"Jill Cooper's debut young adult paranormal novel offers a lot of *punch.* Bam, kapow, hiyaaah! Witty dialogue, memorable characters, and hilarity in the face of certain doom all make for a stunning read." -- Emlyn Chand, author of the award-winning Farsighted series

When your dreams come true, sometimes you get more than you bargained for...


In the young adult teen series Dream Slayer, Natalie Johnson has always dreamed she’s someone else; calm, beautiful, in control. A chosen warrior with a maniacal arch nemesis and a dreamy boyfriend, the type that can make your knees melt and your heart quiver.

Real life is much different. She’s tormented by a bully and endures the sharp tongue of her father, but finds solace in her dreams.

When her bully ends up dead, de ja vu from a dream hits her hard as everything around her begins to fall apart. Whatever killed Sarah in her dreams is now in reality, hunting her from the shadows. And it wants her dead.

Somehow as the lines between reality and nightmare blur, Natalie must discover hidden strength to pull her friends and family back from the brink of madness.

In the tradition of young adult vampire fiction such as Twilight and Buffy the Vampire slayer, comes The Dream Slayer.
 
 

3 comments:

  1. Yay! Two Women In Horror with a great interview! What could be better than this! Being there in person I guess. Super job, ladies!

    Blaze

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Blaze! I enjoyed every minuet of it lol

      Delete
    2. Thanks, Blaze! And yes, it's me. Incognito!

      Delete